JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Being Silly On A Hot Autumn Afternoon



A few weeks ago I officiated a wedding at the Terrranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.  It’s an expansive, gracious venue about forty minutes from LAX.  Since I’d arrived early for the wedding, I found a table on the patio outside the lobby where I could check-up on email and messages.

A few chairs away from me sat a couple (early thirties) playing cards.  Coronas were on the table and I spotted wedding rings on each of them.  They were laughing and being silly, looking like a couple of kids having fun on a Fall afternoon.

At one point, the guy’s phone rang.  He glanced at it but then ignored it, took a swig of beer and went back to the cards.  The woman said something, swatted him on the arm and he cracked up. 

What most struck me was just how relaxed they looked––how affectionately “at one” they were in their relaxation.  They were lost in their own world and seemed beyond delighted to be there!

Rose Franken, a popular writer from the mid-last century, once observed that, “Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly.” 

What about you and your partner––can you be silly with each other?!