JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tips On Choosing Your Wedding Photographer



I recently met Kari Kochar, a wedding photographer with a keen eye for warmth and style. We quickly realized that we share a common philosophy regarding weddings. I've invited her to share with you some of her tips on what to keep in mind while choosing your photographer.


Personality – IMO, this is one of the most important things!!!

Is the photographer that you meet someone that you can get along with (for your whole wedding)? This is really important, since you will probably spend more time on your wedding day with your photographer than almost any other person and that will also show in the photos if you do not connect with them. And also, is the photographer someone you can get along with throughout the whole process (hiring, engagement session, wedding day and afterwards in designing your album- that is often a 2 year time period)

Experience Level – I strongly recommend that you don’t hire a family member or friend and that you specifically hire a wedding photographer (not an advertising photographer, fashion photographer etc.), but someone with a lot of experience shooting weddings- I’ve lost count of the number of stories I’ve heard where the photographer didn’t have enough experience and lost the photos, their equipment failed, they acted or dressed inappropriately, they missed key important moments, since they lacked the experience shooting weddings, etc.

1. How many weddings? (my rec: at least 25, or more)
2. How long have they been doing weddings? (my rec: at least 2 years)
3. Formal Training? (I do think a photographer can learn on the job, but I know several photographers, and I think the best ones are the ones with formal schooling in photography)- gives them a level of photographic sophistication.

Kari will share more tips in my next entry.

No comments: