JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Favorite "Thank You" Note



A few days ago I got a “thank you” note from a bride who’s wedding I recently officiated.  She wrote, “I am actually getting emotional thinking about all of it again. . . I always thought of the marriage ceremony part of a wedding as kind of the boring part of a wedding, but you really made it exciting and special for our guests and us and I can't thank you enough for that.  It's something I will remember forever.”

I was both grateful and surprised by her note as I oftentimes forget how people’s past experiences with ceremony and ritual can make them confused and apprehensive when they approach their own wedding ceremony.

I’m happy (and a bit smug!) that I was able to give this couple a ceremony that was anything but boring.  But her kind note also reminds me of what I have believed for a long time––that when done well ritual and ceremony refreshes rather than bores, inspires instead of deadening the spirit. 

When done well a ceremony reminds family and friends just what it is that they’re celebrating.  And this bride’s ceremony was just 12 minutes long––that’s shorter than my average ceremony (20 – 25 minutes), but it shows the emotional power of having cherished ones bear witness as you pledge your life together.

I’m happy this bride reminded me again of this great truth. . .

No comments: