JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Saturday, April 21, 2012

4 Words Not To Say To Your Partner While Planning Your Wedding



As you know, sometimes we say things without thinking.  And sometimes we’re just too tired to think about what we really want to say.  And then there are those times when we just find it easier to get rid of people with “cheap” talk than real talk.

Here are four words/phrases that we all use on a daily basis.  We usually toss out these phrases when we don’t have time for a real answer or when we don’t want to give a real answer!  These are four words/phrases that potentially can confuse your partner if used regularly while planning your wedding.

"Try" is a “nice” word meant to give the other person some hope that they’ll get what they need.  I’m guilty of over-using this word, as I have this (annoying) habit of not wanting to disappoint people in the here and now.  I attempt to buy time with “try” in the hope that I’ll be able to help them.   More times than not, my “trying” doesn’t work out.

Tell your partner exactly what you’re going to do when you “try” to do what they’ve asked of you.  Let them know what your “trying” really involves.

"I'll get back to you" is said when you need to buy time and you want to get rid of the other person because you don’t want to have to deal with them right now.  How often do people get back to you when they say, “I’ll bet back to you”? 

Tell your partner specifically when you’ll get back to them and then make sure you do, even if you don’t have what they need.

"I guess . . ." is mumbled when you only partially agree with the other person and for whatever reason you don’t want to continue the discussion or argument.  Your body language and tone of voice always gives you away!  Even if the person accepts your begrudging “I guess,” they’ll walk away thinking you have attitude.

Tell your partner what you agree with and what you don’t agree with, IF it is vital for your plans.

"We'll see . . . “ is a fav phrase of our parents. It was their “nice” way of saying no.  Recently my ten-year old godson, Finn, asked if we could go to Target and get a Skylander toy.  I said, “we’ll see.”  Puzzled, he asked “What will we see?”  He pressed on, “will we see or will you see?” 

Tell your partner why you’re hesitant to give a firm answer; let them know what your doubts and concerns are.

And, yes, I did “see” and I surrendered. . .I took Finn to Target!

Avoid these four phrases and you’ll reduce confusion between you and your partner and so reduce stress.