JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Thursday, May 22, 2014

10 Things To Keep In Mind While Planning Your Wedding Vows


Earlier this week I officiated a wedding for an out-of-town gay couple that had decided to combine their wedding and honeymoon.  They invited just ten relatives and friends.  The ceremony was held in their hotel suite that had a breath-taking view of LA.  When I arrived, Frank clasped my hand and said,  “I’m so nervous, I don’t know if I can say my vows.”  I reminded him that there would only be ten people, to which he nervously responded, “that’s a lot!”

The point is, it doesn’t matter if you’ve invited ten people or twenty times ten people.  It doesn’t matter if you’re straight or gay.  A wedding is an out-of-body experience!  And while I “get” why people are nervous, at the risk of sounding obnoxious, I have to ask: “But why are you nervous?  What are you telling yourself that makes you scared?”

I know this is a heretical statement – BUT – your wedding day is not “the” most important day of your life.  Your life together is a series of most important days.  I think your wedding day is “the” day that can be a touchstone for all those other “most important days”.

With that in mind, here are ten things to keep in mind while preparing for your wedding vows.

No comments: