JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Sunday, July 5, 2015

How Tiger Woods' Ex-Coach Challenged Me To Think About Weddings!



Note:  even though I begin this post talking about golf – it really is a wedding post!

When I’m not officiating weddings, I’m a corporate communications coach and trainer (thebusinessofconfidence.com).  I offer workshops on what’s commonly referred to as “soft skills.”  However, as you know there’s very little “soft” about customer service, team building as well as managing all those difficult conversations!

Last year I began coaching professionals in the world of golf  – long story!  Up until last year, my experience on the greens was limited to miniature golf.  While it will be a long time before I don’t feel self-conscious playing, I have learned a great deal about the sport and the giants who’ve made it the avidly popular sport that it is today.

One of those legends is Sean Foley, who is one of Tiger Woods’ former coaches.  Recently, I read an article where he was asked this question: “You’ve always said that golf would never define you.  Do you still feel the same after taking on Tiger?”

Here’s his answer:
“Golf instruction is what I do for a living, but it doesn’t define who I am.  I’m not here to revolutionize golf instruction.  I’m here to touch the individual lives of the people that I work with.  I was raised on the idea that when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed at night the goal is to leave the world in a better place than you found it.”

Foley is much respected in the world of golf and it is remarkable that he can say that golf doesn’t define him.  His answer challenged me to think about what defines me.  In addition, it got me thinking about weddings (which I’m more times than not thinking about) and what a wedding actually celebrates.

Does a wedding celebrate what defines YOU?  Does a wedding celebrate what defines YOU as a COUPLE?

In order to say “I Do” to another person, don’t you need to be able to say what defines you?  And can you really venture forth into the unknown future together without knowing what defines you as a couple?

Sean Foley has a very clear sense of what his defining goal is when he wakes up in the morning and goes to bed at night.  Do you, individually and as a couple, have just as a clear a sense?

I know – kinda an odd questions for a wedding blog BUT I think knowing who you are as a couple, knowing who you want to become, can only help you be and become the people you want to be and become!

No comments: