JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Friday, January 24, 2014

For Better, For Worse - The "Secret" To A Life-Giving Marriage

 
Last month I learned that Jack and Jill (yes, names changed!), a couple whose wedding I officiated two years ago, recently split-up.  I heard this from their planner and have not spoken with them directly. 

So, here’s the thing – I’m not able to predict the future for any couple and I recognize that marriage is one of the great acts (leaps) of faith known to us.  I’m enough of a realist to know that, sadly, not all of my couples will remain married.  But I have no way of knowing who will “make it” and who will not. 

Having said that, I was stunned when I heard that Jack and Jill are divorcing.  If I had to place money on a sure bet couple, it would have been them.  The more I thought about them, the more angry, yes, angry, I felt. “NO! You can’t divorce!” is what I wanted to shout.  And I know, really I do, that I don’t have the right to say that.

Since then I’ve been mulling over why some couples continue to create a vibrant, life-giving life and others don’t.  I’ve been reflecting on the marriages of some of my friends.  I’m a “lucky” guy in that some of the most wonderful people on the face of the earth are my friends.  And some of them have been married for decades.  What’s their “secret”?

I contacted a handful of these trusty friend couples and invited them to offer reflections on their own marriage.  Lance and Anne were the first to respond – and given that they recently had their third child, I’m in awe of their time-management skills!

Lance wrote, Anne collaborated, and I’m grateful, delighted and proud to share with you their heartening thoughts.
Enjoy!
~JP
FOR BETTER, FOR WORSE
By: Lance Hedges
The strength of your marriage is directly proportionate to the quality of the person you marry.
Lacking in romance?  Surely.
Subjective in tone and application?  Certainly. 
The absolute truth?  Undoubtedly.

All marriages are based on the making of a promise to stand by each other together, for the rest of each other’s lives together.  Unfortunately, nature dictates that we do not fully grasp the enormity of this promise as the vows are spoken. 

The romantic and hopeful rush of emotions that accompany the declaration of “I do”s are motivated by dreams far richer than they are poor, much healthier than are sick, and full of times far more good than bad.  These sugarplum visions are natural, normal and completely expected.

After all, getting married is supposed to be the key that unlocks much of the Better life has in store for us.  

Better is all about fun and family.  It’s faith affirmed, fortune found and long held daydreams come true.

Better is hopes realized and prayers answered. 
And it’s wonderful. 
It’s also not alone.

So long as there are highs, so too there will be lows.  As long as there is Better, so too there will be Worse. 

At the very least, Worse is the bad that comes with the good, something to grin and bear.  And get through.
But it can also be awful. 
Worse than awful.
Terrible.
It can be really sad, really scary and really, really hard.  
It can also hurt.  A lot. 
Worse sets in as terribly as it wants, when it wants.

Getting through it requires mustering and mastering those most difficult of graces- Patience.  Trust.  Forgiveness.- and demonstrably doing your very best. A difficult enough task in even the best of times.  

And just as in the case of times good, times bad shall eventually pass as well.  Hopefully, your marriage didn’t pass along with them.

Because just as you cannot know from where and whence the storm will come, so to you cannot know how well your marriage will weather it.   All you can know is that when it hits, and it will, you are both in it together. 

How much you are there for each other, how much you do for each other, how much better you make each other, will reveal how good your marriage is. 

How great your marriage is.
How strong your marriage is.
Or is not. 

The nature of marriage being what it is, you cannot do it alone.  You must count on the other absolutely.

Which means...marry the right person.

If you choose to get married, your paths will join and your life’s adventures will entwine, forever.  How will you know the person you are marrying is the right one?

How can you know?
You can't. 

It all comes down to faith.  You have to believe in the person you want to marry.  And trust they similarly believe in you.

Determining how well the following list applies to you and the person you wish to marry could help provide the gut check you need though.  

You don't just acknowledge what makes them special, you are in awe of what makes them great.
1.     You don't just accept their failings, you understand them.
2.     You don't just wish to be with them forever, you fear living life without them.
3.     You don't just share a faith, you believe in the same most important things.
4.     You don't just have common goals, you share each other's dreams.
5.     They don't just make you better.  With them...you are at your very best.

My wife and I recently had an opportunity to test the strength of our vows.  After an extended period of unemployment, the celebrations that marked our successful passage through such trying times was surprisingly clouded by the amount of comments received from people admitting they couldn’t believe we made it through together.  More surprisingly was how often they admitted to doubting their own marriages would have similarly survived.  I was surprised by their lack of confidence.  Until I realized they may have understood my First Law more than I realized.  And had less faith in their partners than we had in each other.  

After all, there is no secret to what allowed the two of us to succeed.
Patience. Trust.  Forgiveness.
We leaned on our vows, and each other.
After ten years of Better several bouts with Worse, life together has never been better.
Because ten years ago, we married the right people.

No comments: