JP REYNOLDS WEDDING BLOG!

How To Stay Sane While Planning for Your Wedding!

Friday, January 23, 2015

What To Say After 20+ Years Of Marriage


 
Last year I asked friends who’ve been married ten years or longer to share their thoughts on marriage.  To make it easier, I sent them a list of ten questions and asked that they answer at least five each.

My friends Anthony and Melissa have been married for twenty years (I think!).  Anthony was quick to respond; and I was waiting for Melissa’s answers before I posted.  However, Melissa is in the throes of prepping for the publication of her first book, “Pieces of My Mother” which will be published on May 5th.  I’m thrilled for her and so, hey, I’m going to cut her slack and wait until later in the year for her answers!

In the meantime, here are Anthony’s. . .

My wish for all of you is that 20 years from now, your own answers will be as wonderfully heartfelt!

PS: And if you’re wondering about the photo – I couldn’t get a photo of Anthony + Melissa, so I decided to go with one of their youngest child, GianMarco (6) – truly, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!

 

1.  What do you know today about marriage that there was no way you could have known before you got married?

Well - first of all, how the marriage will ultimately turn out.  Sounds like a truism, however, I didn't know if I'd get bored with my wife after 10 years, if she'd get bored with me, if we'd have kids, where we'd end up -- so I'd point to that future life together, pregnant with possibility and hope and potentially despair, as a most potent piece of knowledge I did not possess.  While marriage recognizes what already is (as you say), it also commits to what might be in the
future.  And for me, looking back, it was important to bind that commitment to our future together - wherever we might end up.

2.  What three words do you think of when you think of your wedding day?
"Radiant in white." 
(Sorry - I was so struck by seeing Melissa in her wedding dress for the first time.)

3.  Why haven’t you gotten divorced?
Because we've both continued to grow and surprise and support each other.

4.  What three things are you grateful for in your spouse?
(1) Her good heart; (2) her infinite and abiding love for our children; (3) her (almost) unconditional support of my personal aspirations.

5.  One sentence advice you’d give to a couple planning to get married?
Do your diligence and seek out counseling or a retreat that will help you ask the questions of each other that you've previously avoided asking.

6.  What has most surprised you about being married?
Honestly?  That I'd still be passionately and physically attracted to my wife after nearly a quarter century of marriage.

7.  How has your partner helped you become who you are today?
She's supported me in pursuing my endeavors.  When I needed her to uproot her life and follow me for graduate education or a job, she followed.

8.  Are you happy you had the celebration you had – or do you wish you had eloped? And if you did elope then just flip the question around!
I'm most happy with the celebration we had.  We were surrounded by everyone who mattered to us, who loved us, and who could witness our commitment to each other - and Melissa and I worked to keep the costs down for the wedding, but the fun- factor up: we held the reception at the house she grew up in (full of memories), we found a discount caterer who still managed to serve fabulous food - and we asked personal friends to celebrate the wedding and ceremony (you, JP)

9.  What did you experience at your wedding that you hope other couples experience at theirs?
The pure joy of being surrounded by more love and well-wishes than you'll most likely ever have in this lifetime.   
 
10.  In no more than 140 characters sum up your thoughts on marriage!
To the groom - your job is to get your bride into Heaven; to the bride - your job is to get your groom into Heaven.  That's it.

No comments: